Monday, March 18, 2013

Hong Kong Part 3: Digital Perm Experience

This is the last part to my "Hong Kong Holiday" posts and it's about my digital perm experience which I got done while I was there.

I was born with extremely straight and flat hair and I found myself always envying all the people with volume and those really nice curls! I've read and watched a few blog posts and videos on digital perms but I never really considered getting it done since I was in Melbourne and I kind of assumed that it would be really, really expensive here.

I was only planning on getting a haircut whilst in Hong Kong but after talking to the hairdresser, I decided to get the digital perm and I don't regret it at all!

I was only able to take one photo at the time, but I will go through the process and some details in this post, and of course include what the perm looks like afterwards.


-

What is a digital perm?

Firstly, for those of you who don't know, a digital perm is a perm which involves hot rollers that are heated digitally to a specific heat and time, and aims to produce curls or waves which last for 4 months (or more).

-

Process:

1. Wash and cut

My hair was washed first, and then that was followed by a trim - my hair was originally VERY straight and quite long (a few cm above belly button) and about 5cm was cut.

2. Heat activated chemical solution 

I decided that I wanted my curls to start from below my ears, and so the next step was to put a heat activated chemical solution in the sections of hair which were going to be permed. After the solution was in, a large sheet of glad-wrap type plastic was wrapped over my head, and then my head was put under a hair steamer which would then allow the solution to be fully saturated into my hair.

3. Wash

The steamer was over my head for about 10 minutes and after my hair cooled down, it was washed again.

4. Rollers

My hair was put into rollers and then clipped to this octopus/alien looking machine. Photo below.



5. Heat

Once the rollers were all secure, the machine is programmed, turned on and then it started to heat up. I think it was on for about 10-15 minutes.

6. Solution

Another solution is put into my hair and then left to absorb for about 10 minutes.

7. Final wash and blow dry

My hair was washed once more, then my hairdresser blow dried it and also went through the basics of maintaining the curls.



Results:



The photo above was taken about 5 days after I got the perm, and is after my hair has been twirled with my fingers and then left to air dry.



Time, Price and Salon:

The entire process took around 3 and a half hours and it costed approximately AU$125. At the salon I went to, I actually had the choice between a couple of different solutions which started at a little over HK$300 and went up to HK$1200, but I chose the $900 one. Basically, the more expensive the solution, the less damaging.

The salon I went to is called Salon One and it's located in Kwai Fong. Coming from Melbourne, I've NEVER actually needed to leave any tip for the hair salons I've been to... but I found out that in Hong Kong it's pretty much a requirement. I didn't know this and I didn't leave a tip and I feel SO BAD. The workers there were so nice, and I was really happy with both my hairdresser and the service there.... I still feel so bad! :(


-

If you have any questions about digital perms, feel free to leave a comment below and I'll try my best to help you out. :)





- - -
bloglovin' - twitter - instagram